Monday, March 8, 2010

Streetwalkers!

A lot of times if I go over the Defence Colony flyover at night, I see the street lined with women dressed to kill. They are the “Streetwalkers”, hanging around waiting to be picked up by men for some amount of money. A lot of traffic stops around there in the hope of striking a deal……some stop just for fun. There are times when I have to crawl along that stretch since the going gets really slow.

Being a woman, I always feel extremely sad when I see these women. They are just like me, women, human beings. The only difference is that they are probably caught in a circumstance which makes them do it. And a lot of times I wonder what they must go through standing there. They all seem happy and totally o.k. with what they do. But is that for real or just a façade, where they do what they have to do. Do they switch off their minds and just go with the flow. Or do they hate every second of it. Frankly my mind boggles.

I can’t even imagine living a life like that. A new man, or rather several new men every night. It gives me the creeps. And that is when I am so thankful to God for giving me the life that I have. Of having been born in the family that I was born into. It’s just pure luck……or you could call it karma. Whatever it is, for myself I’m extremely grateful but my heart really goes out to these women who, come rain or cold, are always there.

4 comments:

  1. happens with each one of us at some point or other. we feel sorry for them, we feel lucky ourselves and thanks the higher powers up there and then...move on. apni chhoti si chot bhi unki zindagi se jyada dukhti hai :) this is what bapu meant when he said, look at the people below you whenever you decide whether an action is write or wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya you are right. there are so many who have so little. whereas we are never happy with what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to drive in a point here. Why is it that the largest brothels are there in the largest cities? This is Delhi( the rape capital), other metros are similar. The people are prosperous here yet this is the scene.
    And I'm also sure that they hate each and every living moment. However Karma it is at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are not really women.... That stretch is famous for shemale prostitution. The locals call that place khusra road.

    ReplyDelete