Saturday, March 20, 2010

Joy Of The Forbidden

The Navratras are on…….the time when Hindus who believe in Shakti/Devi go on a fast, pray and turn totally vegetarian. I’m a Hindu but alas, from the day they start, I get this strong craving to eat meat which is blasphemous.

I am not someone who eats a lot of meat. I generally eat home food, which is mostly vegetarian, though with a certain amount of cribbing. So it is strange that I get these cravings throughout the nine days when I am supposed to be vegetarian.

I live in a home where all non-vegetarian food is thrown out the night before the navratras start. My family grows the khetri and puja is done all nine days, two times a day. My Mom fasts for eight days. So you can imagine how it feels to be so out of sync with the family. Do I care…not really. Do I worry that Ma Durga will get upset….no....coz I know she’s not judging me on this.

I mostly end up eating meat at least once during this period, though not at home. And let me tell you.......when you get a strong craving for something which is forbidden and manage to get it......that is the time when you enjoy it the most.

5 comments:

  1. haha... quite a human tendency... we desperately like to do stuff that we are forbidden to... and as u mentioned it... "that is the time when u enjoy it the most"
    This is my first visit on your blog... Liked it.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's natural...I don't do navratri, though my family does but I don't eat non veg during the 9 days....'cuz my funda atleast that at ways I won't be eating non veg for atleast 18 days a year & saving my cals (which i assure are significant) in the cal count of a hard core non veggie like me...also I do try to eat just one mealin a day atleast once a weak, keeping in mind the words of Lal Bahadur shsatri, who said, if each one of s would skip one meal atleast once in a while we could feed so many unfortunate hungry people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Meeta....forgot to respond earlier :( My dear Meeta....the days I am fasting which are only saavan mondays....i end up eating more than normal :( yeh to haal hai mera....no control.

    ReplyDelete