Thursday, February 11, 2010

Suraj Kund Crafts Mela 2010

I always wait for February to come…..not because of Valentine's Day, am too old for that, but because its time for the Suraj Kund Crafts Mela. Now I can tell you that this is something I absolutely do not miss…..haven’t for as many years as I can remember.

It’s always on from the 1st-15th and is a big crowd puller. You get to see all the different crafts of India since it has people from all the states and a few from other countries participating in it. A playground for children with lots of swings, lots of food to eat, lots of artists performing live from all over India.

After making numerous plans….I finally went today….. middle of the week since weekends are really crowded. The theme state this year is Rajasthan….my most favourite state which means that this year the focus of the Mela was on it. That’s not to say that the Mela was only about Rajasthan….it’s just their way of promoting a different state each year.

So I went, looked, admired, ate and watched a few artists performing. Looked at all the handicrafts on show from furniture to stone to marble to brass to bangles to jute to leather to clothes....you name it and it is there.

Chokhi Dhani...a famous resort of Jaipur had a food joint which is where I had lunch.....a vegetable mix of potato onion with Missi and Bajra roti along with garlic chutney....it was spicy and delicious. The place was done up in typical village style and made you feel like you were actually in an eating joint in rural Rajasthan.

One stall in particular I'd like to mention is the one put up by Aadi (Spastic Society of India) where they sell things made of handmade paper block printed by the children. They have wrapping paper, cards, envelopes, diaries, bags etc. I always make sure I buy from them.....my little gesture of trying to help those kids.

It was a fun afternoon spent outdoors and also a reminder of how beautiful and diverse Incredible India is.

2 comments:

  1. u r so 'my kind' of traveler. agli baar jao, toh mujhe bhi saath le jana :)

    ReplyDelete