Thursday, June 3, 2010

This Happens Only In India

I took this picture a couple of days ago, you can guess looking at it, at a railway station. And believe you me, I was struck dumb though I should not have been. After all this is India.

Nizamuddin Railway Station, platform number 1, the train just pulling in and we have not just these two in the picture but a whole lot of donkeys strolling through the platform as though this is something that they do on a daily basis.

They probably do....but I saw it for the first time and frankly all I could do was shake my head in wonder and gape at them.....dumbfounded.

What's more, one poor donkey somehow managed to get off the platform on to the track in the path of the approaching train and was on his way to donkey heaven with all of us watching in horror when someone, probably one of the owners, came to his rescue and pushed him on to the next track.

I must say.......this happens only in India!

4 comments:

  1. Hopped here. Forgotten from where. But really nice shots on the photo-stream. This pic with the donkeys in the foreground and the train approaching is pretty neat. Nice space you have here.

    P.S. Did you meet Alexander McCall Smith or did you just see him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. And unfortunately, it was only see and not meet Alexander McCall Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a nice blog here and as for the donkeys being on the platform , I have to smile because I have seen this before and maybe its the only way the owner can take his donkeys to wherever he is going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Starry. And let me tell you that I'm real happy to see you revisiting the blog :)

    As for the donkeys...they made me smile too but only after I got over the shock. And you are right...this could have been the only way to go though I have a feeling that this probably was the shortest way to go :)

    ReplyDelete