Friday, March 4, 2011

The Generation Divide

I've recently been thinking a lot about the generation divide that exists between parents and children. You can trace it back to history and am sure going into the future, it will continue for generations to come.

Parents know what's best for you or think they do. Children struggling to be free, relishing their newly acquired freedom. Endless struggle which carries on till they themselves become parents and then go right ahead and repeat all that they found frustrating about their parents. With every generation situations change, issues change but what remains unchanged is the fight....control verses freedom. On and on and on.

Growing up, my sister and I've had endless fights with the family over the amount of control and say they could have over our lives. Even today, though am all grown up, Mom and I are constantly at loggerheads. Most times I have trouble getting her take on things which restrict my life and these days, that's when my sister steps in. She's mother to a 5 year old and has now started understanding Mom's point of view, to the extent of advocating it to me. I see the signs of the next generation tug of war in the making, as her son grows older. The same issues of freedom verses control even though she is more modern in her outlook than Mom.

In a country like India where the core values are still conservative, the protective instinct very strong, I don't really see this divide between generations ending anytime soon......rather it's a vicious circle!

2 comments:

  1. See that is why i tell u indulge me, break the cycle...but u are a good M overall :P :P :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Meeta : nice try baby but am not gonna let go of our sanskar so no indulging possible :P

    ReplyDelete