Friday, April 30, 2010

Yeh Dil Mange More

While reading a book by HH Dalai Lama I came across this quote where he talks about discontentment. “You want more and more and more. This, in a sense, is real poverty – always to be hungry, hungry, hungry with no time to be satisfied.”

One part of my mind recognises the truth of this statement. But, somewhere this understanding clashes with my desire of wanting more and more and more. There is an endless list of things I want in life. Things which, to my mind, are desperately needed to make life worth living.

Since then, I’ve been thinking about wanting verses needing. I want but do I need? Not really. I have all that I need to live a very comfortable life. But still this endless wanting continues. I guess it’s a case of “yeh dil maange more”!

3 comments:

  1. You believe in destiny or so I read somewhere about you. Do you know the mechanism with which fate operates (this might seem unrelated to anything but wait a minute)?
    The thing is explained brilliantly here by Swami Ram Tirtha:http://www.ramatirtha.org/vol1/fulfildesires.htm

    The desires are nothing but projections of the future events on ones mind.They are like shadows of events of the future which fall on ones mind and kinda form his/her desires.So you see you have a lot to do and thats why one gets these desires.

    Quoting Swami Ram:
    They say that desires within you are, as a matter of fact, not really spontaneous desires, but the desires within you are natural, these desires are simply shadows of the coming events which have to take place and come to pass in the regular course of nature; these cast their shadows before in your mind and they appear as desires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An example I got the desire to know the full quote of Nanak Dukhiya Sab Sansar and that led me to your blog and that in turn led me to read and that in turn led me to comment so you see the chain....waise can I request a page on your take on life.....

    ReplyDelete